Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Just Turn Around???!!!

Many a wonderful trip has been ruined by these four words, “I know a shortcut”. I’ve used them many times myself. Yes, sometimes it did work out to be shorter and then other times, well it didn't’.

Can you relate to this? Everyone is in the car, we're heading for “Sunset beach”. Everyone is excited. Dad decides to surprise everyone with a shortcut he knows will up the excitement level even higher by getting them there sooner than they expected. So you take the shortcut and begin to look for any signs you may be getting close to water. You should be seeing the ocean by now, it doesn’t look promising but all roads lead somewhere, right? That is true you assure yourself, forgetting, that not all roads lead to “Sunset beach”.

Gradually the trip to “Sunset beach” becomes the trip to any beach, then deteriorates into a trip to somewhere. However, you know in your heart you passed somewhere about 30 miles ago but you don’t dare tell anyone, and now you are looking for anywhere with water and a plastic slide. Eventually you find yourself nowhere and no one is happy. And to top it all off they say it's your fault. The nerve of some people.

Usually during this fateful journey, someone in the back seat will unwisely make the suggestion that we should just turn around and go back to where we made the decision to take the shortcut. It is amazing how annoying common sense can be sometimes.

The cardinal rule I (and most men) follow when driving is “never turn around”. That is to admit defeat. Keep driving at all costs. I remember those times when I did have to TURN AROUND and travel that 30 or 40 miles back to where we got lost. Seemed like it took 10 hours to drive those 30 miles. Knuckles are white as they grip the steering wheel in anger.
I hate turning around and going back where I started. I am convinced I can make this work.

That is how the human heart works. I can get out of this, I can find my way back without having to turn around (repent) and admit I was wrong. And so I rage against wisdom and I stay lost, and the family stays dry and head home never having found anything even close to a beach. Everyone’s joy is turned to despair all because dad won’t turn around. Proverbs talks about people like this.

“How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?
How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing
and fools hate knowledge?
If you turn at my reproof,
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.
(Proverbs 1:22-23 ESV)

If you are on the wrong road, lost, caught in the chains of your sin Proverbs says turn around. As hard as it seems God will give you the strength through His Spirit to do it. He will give you wisdom. He will show you the way to go as you read His Word.
The warning for those who refuse are very sobering. Proverbs 1:24-32
Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God and he will lift you up. James 4:6-9
Listen to those around you, it may not be what you want to hear but it is what you need to hear.
Humble hearts lead to joy and the pathway to God’s blessing in our lives and in our families.

Sometimes we all just need to stop and turn around.

No comments:

Post a Comment