Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'll Do it This Way.

It is amazing how many principles in the book of Proverbs are stated more than once. If God takes the time to say something twice we really need to snap to attention and take heed because there is something here God does not want us to miss. One such example is Proverbs 14:12 and 16:24 where we read these words


“There is a way that seems right to a man,
but its end is the way to death.”

God has a warning here for us. For me. It is a warning about the kind of person I am by nature.
You see there is a way that seems right and I know what that way is he’s talking about. It is the best way, it is the logical way, it is the way everyone else does it, it’s the popular way, but to boil it down to two words - the way that seems right is “MY WAY”. I love my way, I think my way is best. The way I drive the car is the right way to drive it, the way I choose to raise my children is the right way to raise children, the way I choose to do church is the right way, how I choose to educate my children is the right way, how I choose to live morally is the right way. How I choose to “do religion” is the right way. But here is the key point - It’s the right way because it is “MY WAY”. And I’ll get very upset if someone tries to convince me otherwise. But maybe that’s just me!

That’s how we think is it not? No one deliberately tries to raise their children the wrong way. No one deliberately chooses to believe a false gospel, etc. We make choices because we believe they are right, and often our reasoning is as simple as this - we deem our action right because if it wasn’t I wouldn’t have done it that way.

That's the reasoning of a deluded heart and mind blinded to truth, a person wandering around in the dark making choices about things not truly understood. Yet man, blinded by his pride, chooses to stake his life, his children, his eternity on the fact that if it seems right to me then it’s right.

We don’t like to be wrong. We don’t like to stand corrected. There is a way that seems right to a man and we take it every time. “MY WAY”.

That ‘s how fallen man reasons in his heart. That’s how the children of Israel lived in Judges where it says “that every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”

If you had a world filled with people who all thought like this imagine the horror, the violence, the wars and lawlessness, the immorality, the false religion, it would be like living, well it would be like living in our world today. Imagine how the newspapers would read in such a world. If your wondering pick up today's paper and read it. The end of such thinking leads to destruction, heartache, despair, loneliness, death, and ultimately hell.

The writer of Proverbs says and all of scripture affirms, that those who sing “I did it my way” will face death, not just the grave but eternal condemnation if they die without saving faith in Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ said I am the way, the truth and the Life no one comes to the father but by me. John 14;6
Jesus says follow me, follow my way and you will find life. It is not something earned it is a gift of grace purchased for us on the cross of Jesus Christ where he died for our sins, our “MY WAY” anti God, life style and all the baggage (sins) that goes with that.
The way that seems right ’MY WAY” is wrong, the way that seems wrong “GOD’S WAY” is right. Which way will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment