Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"What are You Sleeping On?"

It’s kind of funny how we change over the years.   Our perspectives on certain things change dramatically.  When I was 5 or 6 years old and I was told it was time to go to bed I used to hate that.  Who wants to go to bed?  Who wants to go to sleep.  Not many 5 year olds get excited about "bedtime".  But now I’m in my 50’s and bedtime is something I look forward to.  Now I like sleep, I need sleep, I spent big money to get a good mattress that will give me the best possible sleep.  I would like to think this change has come about because I am wiser now and see the value of sleep, but reality is this change has come about because I’m getting older.   Sleep is good..  To little sleep is unhealthy, to much sleep leads to laziness, but the right amount of sleep - priceless.  
People have a hard time sleeping sometimes.  One of the major factors is stress.  Their minds won’t shut down. There is to much to do, to much to think about , who has time to sleep.  Who will take care of things if I go to sleep? That’s a good question.  Do you have a theology that allows you to sleep?  Here is a great verse to memorize on those nights when sleep alludes you.

“Psalm 121:4  Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.”
Behold, he (God) who keeps Israel (you and I) will neither slumber nor sleep.  I don’t know about you but I find that very comforting.  God does not sleep, He does not need to sleep.  God never takes a break from watching over us.  He never takes a day off or hires an assistant or farms our keeping out to someone else.  He never sleeps, He who keeps you is always awake, so get some sleep.  He knows what’s going on in your life better than you do, so get some sleep.  
There is one other thing we need to consider as well.  Sometimes we think if we don't’ do something it won’t get done or when we go to sleep God’s work, or God's care for me comes to a standstill.  Please remember this important principle.  God is not in heaven pacing back and forth waiting for you and I to wakeup so he can start running the universe again.  God works even while we sleep.  God doesn’t panic every time we take a nap. God is sovereign, God is in control, God knows our frame and that we are dust, God knows we need sleep.  God is working all things for good while we are awake and when we are asleep.  God is keeping us when we wake, when we work, when we walk and even when we sleep.  God doesn’t need me to help Him keep the stars in their orbits, so get some sleep. 
“In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
Give ear to my words, O LORD; consider my groaning.”  Psalm 4:8
What a wonderful promise.  “You alone, O LORD, make be dwell in safety”  therefore I will both lie down and sleep.
We often lie down and worry, lie down in anger, lie down and pace back and forth in our minds, lie down and get discouraged, lie down and lament our circumstances, lie down and ask why me, lie down and stare at the ceiling etc.  
A good nights sleep is a gift from the LORD to his children who trust in His sovereign and loving care over them.  Cast all your care upon him for He cares for you and the one who cares for you never slumbers or sleeps.  
Hebrews 11:6 says without faith it is impossible to please God…”  Is it not true to say also that without faith it is impossible to get a peaceful nights sleep.  Worship the Lord by trusting Him when you lay your head on your pillow at night.  Say thank- you for sleep, thank-you for keeping me, thank-you for saving me.  
What are you sleeping on? The greatest mattress in the world or the most powerful sleeping pill will never give you the rest David talks about in these verses. So lie down and go to sleep “for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."  Is who or what you are trusting in allowing you to sleep peacefully?  Maybe what you are sleeping on needs to be exchanged or re-examined.  When I trust in the LORD I can lie down and SLEEP peacefully and restfully knowing that the LORD alone will make me dwell in safety. Whether your 6 or 96 that is a wonderful promise to sleep on.

No comments:

Post a Comment